Monday, February 16, 2009

Chair redo

I reupholstered a chair! This was another freebie from the curb that's been in my garage for a long time. I decided a couple weeks ago that it was as good a time as any to breathe new life into it. Here's my step by step process:
  1. Unscrew backrest. This particular backrest consisted of two pieces of wood pressed together and held in place by screws.
  2. Flip chair over to unscrew seat.
  3. SCREAM!
  4. Have my brother remove the giant spider and her eggs that are suspended under the seat.
  5. Unscrew the seat.
  6. Use flat-head screwdriver and needle nose pliers to pry up and remove the staples holding the upholstery in place.
  7. Stretch new fabric over the backrest and seat. (I got upholstery-weight fabric from Hancock's. I followed Amanda's lead and just went to their remnant section to get fabric on the cheap.) Staple in place with staple gun on the underside of the pieces.
  8. Screw the seat and back rest back in place.
Before

After.
Please appreciate how well the fabric is stretched around the corners. I spent way too many hours obsessing over those.

4 comments:

MsAmanda said...

nice! did you get a bargain?

Becky said...

Nice work Jendeut!

Janelle said...

good job! i've always wanted to reupholster something.

Unknown said...

Sweet! Now that you're all professional and everything, you can reupholster my dining room chairs :D