Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rhubarb

One of the best things about my yard is my little rhubarb plant out back. It cooks up into some really tasty desserts, which is great for me since I love all things sweet. Tonight, I baked a rhubarb crisp.

Since desserts are clearly my weakness, I always look for ways to tweak the recipes to make them just a smidgen more nutritious without compromising the deliciousness. So, without further adieu, here's my tweaked recipe:

Rhubarb Crisp*
Part one
2 cups diced rhubarb
2 T. flour
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (I like my rhubarb tart; you can adjust the sugar to your tastes)

Part two
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour (I used equal parts white flour and wheat flour)
1/4 cup oatmeal
2-3 T. margarine

Dump the rhubarb into a greased baking dish (I used an 8x8 casserole dish). Sprinkle with flour and sugar from part one. In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients from part two. Use two table knives to cut the ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the rhubarb. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

My rhubarb plant. I don't have a picture of the rhubarb crisp because I started eating it almost as soon as it got out of the oven.

*Hey, family! This was originally Inez's recipe from everyone's favorite yellow cookbook.

4 comments:

Becky said...

yum!! Bring some to denver!

Unknown said...

Yeah Jen? Looks like I will be eating lots of rhubarb...

Unknown said...

I'm putting in my request now for a rhubarb cake or maybe a classic strawberry rhubarb pie :D mmmmmmm :9

Unknown said...

hey don't forget about me i would like some too with a little ice cream on top.