Monday, October 13, 2008

Oh baby! New kitchen curtain(s)

My kitchen has new curtains! Correction: My kitchen has a new curtain. The other one is still in the works. My plan to finish the second curtain last weekend was interrupted by a new man in my life (more about him later).

A couple weekends ago, I enlisted the help of my mother to make curtains for my kitchen. Really, she did all the work since she is quite the master seamstress. I picked out the fabric and then watched as she did the math, measurements, cutting and sewing.

The curtain is very basic (an idea borrowed from Making it Lovely). It's just a fabric panel with some ribbon looped around it. I put a slip knot in the ribbon so I can raise and lower the curtain by pulling on the ribbon. However, I don't expect to raise (and subsequently lower) the curtain all that much because that window faces the street and I don't want people peeping in as I burn dinner. My only design beef with the curtain is that when it's raised, it doesn't have much shape along its bottom edge. I think a thin wooden dowel inserted into the bottom hem would solve that problem.

Um...this might be the worst "before" picture ever, but I offer it to you still the same. These are the dingy, dirty cafe curtains the previous owners left me.

After - a new panel curtain courtesy of my mom

After, again.

Here's the new man. My just-born-last-week-thank-you-very-much nephew Isaac. I was too enamored with him to get much else done over the weekend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I like! I've been wondering how those turned out :D I kinda wonder how they'd look with a different colored ribbon (like chocolate brown??)... little more contrast? Just throwing my unsolicited two cents out there :)

And whoa, that pic of Isaac looks totally different than how I remember him looking in the hospital! He doesn't look quite as much like Blake in that pic!

Becky said...

Wow, your new man is HANDSOME!!!

Kelly Ruden said...

Your house is so cute, and your nephews not bad either :)