Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hunt for a Coffee Table: An Epic Saga

I've been looking for a coffee table for ages. I keep changing my mind about what I want and can't ever find one that's up to snuff. Indecisiveness is one of my signature qualities, along with talking too loudly and smelling funny.

Lately, I've been thinking I need a table with strong lines to complement the geometric pattern on my rug. But, maybe I'm wrong and I really need a slender, tapered leg table. For the sake of this post though, lets just say I'm right about the strong lines. I've found these two tables that could work. Also, I should mention that I'm convinced that using a bench for a coffee table is the way to go. And I don't want a table with a shelf.

The Chase Bench (in antique white)
Pros: It's pretty and I like it.
Cons: Antique white finish could clash with creamy beige pattern on rug and white bookshelf.



The Startford Slat Bench
Pros: Strong lines and I like it.
Cons: Not sure how I feel about slats. Could look too rustic.



Here's my rug again:


Someone with Photoshop should merge all these images for me so I can get a real feel for the room. That would be so kind.

6 comments:

MsAmanda said...

the question is, which one do you love? That's the one I'd go with. I firmly believe if you love something, it will work. That said, I like #2 and think the slats could be interesting.

Janelle said...

i think you are right about the slats being too rustic, but it's pretty basic and the decor will determine the feel of the coffee table.

That said, i LOVE the first table. My eye was actually drawn to the blue as soon as I scrolled down to the picture, but blue probably won't work.

However you're also right about the white/cream color too. Could you paint it? Could you use the gray one?

And i'm not 100% sure about strong lines with the geometric rug...i think it depends on the type of furniture you have. So that said, post a picture of your living room and then i'll weigh in, or, I can swing by on my way through DM on Friday. :-D

Becky said...

I like both. Who says you have to be matchy, matchy? Have you SEEN my house? :)

I agree with Janelle. Post a picture of your living room. I've been there, but I just want to make sure I give you my best choice for the room. :)

Jennifer said...

Until I get around to tidying up and taking better pictures. Here's some shots: http://jenniferhome.blogspot.com/2008/04/rug-is-here.html

There's a lot I want to change in that room yet, so I don't want anyone to get too attached to anything in there (except the rug, couch and bookcase). First thing that needs to go: the yellow walls. Cool, pale gray will take its place...eventually.

Becky said...

If your walls are eventually going to go gray, could you do the first table in gray? That would look lovely in your future living room with a bright bouquet of flowers sitting on it. :)

Or...nothing but a TV remote and a magazine. :)

Lora said...

Actually, everything is all wrong about both of your choices so you should just go ahead and redo the entire room. Just kidding, I just wanted to pretend to be one of those design snob bloggers :)