Monday, November 1, 2010

Book Review: Little Bee

Here goes, my inaugural book review. Before I begin, I think you should know a few things about me: I appreciate clever, witty writing and endearing stories. I gag on cheesy dialogue and ridiculously implausible story lines (I'm looking at you The English American).

Book: Little Bee by Chris Cleave
Stars: 3/5
Quick summary: The lives of a teenage Nigerian refuge and a British working mother collide.
Should I read it? Sure, but don't rush out to get it. If and when you get around to it is fine. 
My take: The story has some smart, spry writing, but don't be fooled -- the subject matter is serious and can be a bit grim. I was happy to be done with the book because it had just a little too much sunshine-covered sadness for my daily commute.

Pic from Barnes and Noble.

No comments: