Thursday, February 21, 2008

Diagnose that furnace!

Quick, it's quiz time! What's wrong with my forced-air furnace if it makes a loud creaking, clunking sound (much like a rusty, old metal gate) when the blower shuts off?

a) Bearings are going bad.
b) Fan belt is wearing out.
c) Blower motor is cracked.
d) Nothing is wrong with the furnace; a rusty old register cover isn't screwed to the wall so the forced air causes it to move and then slam back in place once the furnace shuts off.

The answer is d! I spent the better part of a day fretting over my furnace until I discovered that rascally register. It's pure folly at my house, friends!

Notice the conspicuous lack of screws. This register is so, so sad.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Your quiz was easy...D was the most in-depth answer, so that's the one I picked.

Yes, that is a sad looking register cover!