Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ceiling stain

Something is seriously up with my kitchen ceiling. One spot on the ceiling (kinda above the stove) has needed a patch job since I moved in. Some of the skim coating had fallen away - most likely caused by moisture from cooking. To be sure the culprit wasn't a leaky roof, I sent Brian up into the attic to play around in the insulation and double check.

We finally got around to patching the ceiling on Saturday, using mesh tape and drywall compound. Now, not even 24 hours later, there's a funky stain seeping through the fresh patch job. Why?! It's like a seedy motel room, but on my ceiling.

In mid-patch. I'd forgotten to take before photos. So, you're looking at some wet drywall compound smeared all over the place and a portion of the original stain.

Close-up. Dried drywall compound and crazy stain seepage. WHY?! What happens when I paint over it? grr.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

hmmm...that's very curious.

Becky said...

hmm...interesting....

Unknown said...

Poochie, I think the wet drywall compound just pulled the stain right through when you applied it. I talked to a handyman-type-coworker who said he's seen stains immediately go through wet drywall compound.

As long as there isn't any active leakage, it shouldn't be anything to worry about at this stage of your repair job. Just be sure that, once you've sanded it down and are ready to paint, you use a good primer underneath it first, otherwise the paint will continue pulling the stain on down. You might even want to do a double-coat of primer just to make sure you got that sucker blocked before you do your regular painting.

Jennifer said...

Lola - that's the best news I've heard all day! Tell your handyman-type-coworker "thanks" for me!