Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fads in my hometown

These two housing trends are so prevalent in my hometown right now, you'd think they were in the bylaws:

1. Steel roofs (of the vertical panel industrial variety): A quick and long-wearing way to create a quasi-machine shed look for your home. More and more of these roofs go up by the minute.

Photo of "investment grade roofing" from Metal Roofing Alliance

2. Tin stars: The bigger the star, the better. Groupings of two or three stars is most desirable. Four stars is overdoing it (looks like you're trying too hard). If you must buy four stars, might I suggest placing one in the garden or on the side of the garage?

Photo from flickr

2 comments:

Janelle said...

OMG, don't those tin stars DRIVE YOU CRAZY???? Everytime I see one, I want to smash it.

I don't remember seeing any steel roofs in D-ville, but I did see them a few places along Hwy 20. However, I will say they're all the rage on vacation houses in Colorado. They may be economical in the long run.

Jennifer said...

Janelle, the stars drive me batty and I'm not really sure why. You can find at least four metal roofs on the road that goes past the church, heading out of town.